September 28, 2010

Night shift= Kankles, mosquitos and Ambien.

I havn't had the chance to write since Saturday since I switched to night shift on Sunday night. We attended church at Port au Prince fellowship on Sunday which was great. It took us nearly 1.5 hours each way due to bad roads and traffic when it was only about 15-20 miles away. The church was a mixture of Haitians and Blan (whites) and the director of Heartline Ministries is the pastor. It brought me back to youth group days when we sang and danced to worship songs and the pastor would preach for what seemed like hours. Just a tad different from my Catholic upbringing! Over all it was a nice service and I got to hold one of the girls babies the whole time, Jobens. He's such a great baby and is always laughing and giggling! A funny thing about Haitian church is that many people fall asleep while the pastor is preaching. No one takes offense to it and I'm not even sure if anyone pays attention to those who do snooze during Sunday service. One of the little girls that sat next to me was no exception. Not only did Lillian fall asleep she eneded up spralled out in the floor and was in such a deep sleep she rolled around in the floor and ended up a row ahead of where she started.

Since I've switched to night shift things have been pretty rough! I've barely gotten any sleep as we have patients meds due at 10pm, midnight, 2 am and 6 am. I've been able to snooze a little during the 2-6 am break, but sleeping on a cot outside with hundreds of mosquitos makes it nearly impossible! The Haitians sleep with a blaket over their entire body to ward of the "moustiks", but it's wayyyy to hot for me to do that! Aside from the moustiks, there's a lovely rooster that lives at the house next door, and 5 babies who enjoy playing musical babies during the night. I have never seen my feet swollen and man are they swollen! I look like I have preggers feet. I lost my ankles somewhere and can't find them!

Last night, I and the other nurse had to wake up the charge nurse to straight cath a post hysterectomy patient. She's been having terrible post-op pain, and has been having trouble urinating. She can urinate but it's been very little, so we decided that we needed to cath her to increase her comfort so she could sleep, and so we could check her urine for infection or blood. One of the gals returning from the hospital today post tubal ligation, had her bladder nicked during the operation, so that should be interesting to see the course of treatment here for that.

Yesterday afternoon while was hanging out with the patients at Heartline, I had a patient's son ask if I loved babies because he always sees me holding one of the babies. I told him I did love babies, so he then asked if I would like him to give me a baby. I politely declined. I think my momma would be proud:)

Off to shower again! Mwen santi mal anpil!

1 comment:

  1. haha your blogs are so entertaining. preggers feet. hope you get some sleep today :) lovee

    ReplyDelete