September 13, 2010

Ayiti! M'ap Vini!

       I leave next Wednesday (yay!) for my third trip to Haiti in two years. While this trip will be the shortest of all my trips (just one week :'(  ) I feel this trip will be equally as rewarding, and actually quite different from my previous trips. This time I will be traveling to Heartline Ministries near Port au Prince, Haiti which also happens to be the epicenter of the earthquake that took place on January 12, 2010. Before the earthquake, HM was a jack of all trades. They ran an orphanage that facilitated adoptions, a women's development program helping women start small businesses, schools, and a prental center that took care of women from the time they found out they were expecting, through delivery, and postpartum care. They have been functioning in Haiti for over 20 years and is run by some pretty amazing people. Check them out here.

What will I be doing?
     They are welcoming several surgeons over the next couple of weeks and are planning on carrying out over 30 operations, so I will be involved in preop/post op care, as well as assisting in transfering the patient's to and from the hospital. I am also told that they may need help with their women's unit, so maybe I will be helping delivery some precious pumpkins too!

What can you do to help?
     I will be taking several supplies with me, as they have supplied me with a needs list. If anyone is interested in donating to Heartline Ministries, the easiest way is to donate through the "donations" box on this page. I will use the donated money to buy more items off of their "needs" list, and any money left over will be donated to Heartline. Another way you can help is by donating directly to Heartline Ministries itself. Post earthquake, the staff has decided a more permanent hospital is needed. You can find more information here.  Scroll down to the blog from Sept. 7th.

I plan on using this blog as a way to keep up with my family and friends during that week, as well as a way to update everyone on my adventures while I'm gone. I really enjoy telling everyone about stories from Haiti, so now they will be centralized. Plus, I plan on returning to Haiti long-term eventually, so I'm looking at this like a blogging crash course!

Well, I hope everything I have written make sense- I'm finding it difficult to concentrate while my 17 year old brother and his freinds are franctically beating on the drums and playing guitar.

Pita

1 comment:

  1. I wish I was going with you! Excited to get your updates! Lovee

    ReplyDelete